Thursday, September 08, 2005

 

Update: Chickens

Many of my long time readers are aware that I am one of the best chicken ranchers that I know of in the greater Davis area with a flock size of three or less hens. I thought I would catch my fellow fowl fanatics up on the status of my flock.

Mellie and Gimpy in Happier Times

Sadly, we lost our much beloved Gimpy to old age or something in late July. She had been looking a bit more disheveled than usual in the days before her passing, poor thing. Mellie was very upset by Gimpy's death and spent the next few days wandering around the backyard calling for her.

The Gimp

Jody and I are big pushovers, so we thought about adopting an abandoned chicken from the animal shelter so that Mellie wouldn't be so lonely. Needless to say, we ended up with not one but two new chickens, rescued from the Yolo County Animal Shelter for $5. The shelter employee was absolutely thrilled that we wanted to take the birds, and talked us up from one hen to two, and almost up to three.

Our new hens are named Elizabeth and Emma, and they are settling in quite nicely, although they are not as friendly as Mellie and DO NOT like to be touched or held. They have started running up to me when I walk to the gate to feed them. We are averaging 2 eggs a day and haven't had any backyard escape attempts yet.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?