Saturday, October 08, 2005

 

The Black Cat

Now that I have finished doing a happy dance at having Aubrey back, I thought I might do some blogging (as one does after getting one's cat back). Anywho, I found some info on Aubrey's namesake, the person she was named after, who is of course Edgar Allan Poe, author of the short story murder mystery "The Black Cat," and some other stuff no one has really heard of.

Ha! Just kidding. Aubey-kins is really named after Aubrey Beardsley, who drew this illustration for Poe's "The Black Cat". I think the cat looks a lot like Aubrey (my Aubrey, not the artist Aubrey).

Because you asked, here is some info on Aubrey Beardsley and "The Black Cat" that I found on the internet somewhere:

Aubrey Beardsley drew this illustration for a murder mystery of the same name in "Tales of Edgar Allen Poe". In the short story, first published in 1843, the narrator relates how he killed his wife, bricked up the body in a wall of their house and fooled the police. But the black cat cried like an infant from behind the wall where it had been inadvertently entombed. When the police dismantled the wall, they found the cat sitting on the head of the corpse.

Beardsley was a young artist and book illustrator who gained notoriety for many of his works and was a leading proponent of what was called the "decadent" movement. His brilliant but controversial work had a strong influence on visual arts and book illustrations for decades.

Beardsley only lived to be 26 but produced major illustrations for literary classics, including Morte d'Arthur.


I guess I should mention that the artist Aubrey was male, and my Aubrey is female, but everyone knows that Aubrey is a girl's name now (like Ashely).

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?